Project Green Page
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Note on realism

3 posters

Go down

Note on realism Empty Note on realism

Post by IceNoodleBowl Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:50 pm

So, seeing that the forum is just taking off now and that there much to see. I figured I'd start a little thread about a topic that most people are overlooking: REALISM.

Realism has been a subject matter that I always wanted to tackle not just as a developer but as a gamer. I mean, how do we define this? And to what extent do we enjoy its company?

Take a look at Crysis (2007 - I think)

Note on realism Pic_23

Is the compellingly outstanding visuals that determine realism? I mean the game still looks good to be honest. Remember how so many people ranted about the game's realistic environments? The destructible trees and other physics stuff was quite stunning.

Back to realism, I believe, and to be blindly honest, that we should approach realism from a different perspective.

So realism, which still is a subject that has to be defined before further discussion, is not just aesthetics and it clearly isn't about HD textures. In my humble opinion, and for the purposes of Green Page, realism is about an experience. Take a look at the screenshot from Farcry2

Note on realism FC2_NQ8

The way they handled GUI (Diegetic Interface Design) was fantastic and realistic. The immersion and restrictions that naturally occured from having a map that players actually have to hold in their first person hands are amazing. It kinda threw me off when I saw that Farcry3 didn't continue with the tradition.

To add to the list, I am sure how many of you guys remember a game called "Delta Force" - and not the recent installment but the classic series.

Note on realism Delta_Force_2_PC_Game_Screenshots2

Delta Force was praised for emphasizing "gameplay over graphics" in its time. Or even the rainbow six series, the good old ones.

Note on realism Rs02

So, I grew up playing games that were really fun. When the idea of developing a game crossed my mind. I knew that my heart was set on making a game that was realistic. And  by this I mean the "realism" that I grew up with. Green Page was always going to be a simulator of some sort.

Check this picture out.
Note on realism Maxresdefault

So with ACE mods, this is how ARMA's sniping goes. Reading windage for a single sniper shot.

Here is another screenshot
Note on realism Reading
Having a drop sheet for ballistics calculation is just awesome.

Now, I know that the genre can be a deal breaker for some people. For instance, I never really picked up the original Operation Flashpoint series until it came back as ARMA. I just couldn't locate my enemies at the time without all the flashy pointers telling me where they were. Instead, my teammates were yelling out, "3 o'clock, hostile half a click" or something similar to that.

Back to Green page, it is for this very reason why we will make sure that we will have enough tutorials and guides both in game and probably on Youtube. We wouldn't want people to miss out on such a experience - realism.

I will probably edit this post after we release our sniper video but until then, I would like to know what you guys think of realism, and what you'd like to see in Green Page. SmileTwo 

IceNoodleBowl
IceNoodleBowl
Admin

http://projectgreenpage.com

Back to top Go down

Note on realism Empty Re: Note on realism

Post by Jetcutter Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Realism is what brought me here.
That being said I will hold my opinion(s) until I see what the build has to offer.
Jetcutter
Jetcutter

Back to top Go down

Post by IceNoodleBowl Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:14 am

Talking about realism, we just finished working on a range finder for the game laugh gotta watch for the remaining battery life if you want to use out in field.
IceNoodleBowl
IceNoodleBowl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vol4ok Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

I hope you imply the far cry 2 feature when you hold a map on hands and feels really dynamic and realistic if you are really interested in that i have another pic from another game that add that (heroes and generals f2p) Note on realism Zoom_1

Also i have remember a bandage feature where it shows how much bandages you applied after healing you're self with bandages the game called "metal gear solid 3:snake eater" sorry didn't find a picture of video.
vol4ok
vol4ok

Back to top Go down

Post by IceNoodleBowl Tue May 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Welcome to the forum, it is always a pleasure to meet someone with similar interests. Regards to Farcry2 reference, I was a huge fan of how the user interface was integrated into the game. We've employed this in GP, although in some cases, it doesn't work quite as well as it did in Farcry2 as it is a TPS.

Nonetheless, follow the dev screenies section and see the discussions there if you are interested in UI of GP. There are more info there. Once again, thanks for joining us and wish you a pleasant time here at the forum.
 Content 
IceNoodleBowl
IceNoodleBowl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum